Area and Locations
Heidelberg, Western Cape, a quiet little town on the banks of the Duivenhoks River, is the gateway to the well-known Garden Route of South Africa.
The town with its scenic beauty and interesting sights offer the traveller a quiet, rustic atmosphere, but still lies unexplored to many tourists.
Heidelberg was named after Heidelberg in Germany, where the Heidelberg Catechism originated from.
It was decided on September 14th 1855 that “Doornboom” farm of Mr L.J. Fourie would be appropriate for a town. The sum of 5000 pounds was guaranteed to Mr Fourie for the past of his farm , situated on the banks of the Duivenhoks River. Today Heidelberg is also referred to as the “INTERIOR” by the SEA
- The Homestead of Doornboom dates back to 1728 and is under restoration.
- Lots House
Just next door to the original stables of the Fourie House.
According to tradition this house was used during war as a
hide-away for women. A farm worker and his child rode to the house when they were being shot at. The child jumped from the horse and was supposedly shot dead. Today visible bullet-holes still exists in the front door as well as a framed bullet inside the house.
- The historic Dutch Reformed church.
- Heidelberg Hotel in its original form.
- The English Cemetery in Van Riebeeck Street.
Boer en Brit tells the story of the Boer war’s southernmost skirmish in the centre of Heidelberg. This was used as an English fort during an attack on September 13th 1901. At that time Heidelberg was a temporary home for the “West Yorkshire Regiment” and the building was used as a magazine. This is only a few of the historical buildings.
The Duivenhoks River twists and turns through history. The river flows from Grootvadersbosch in the Langeberg Mountains range, fed by three branches the Klipriver, Palmiet and the Klein Noukrans River to where it debouches into the Indian Ocean at Puntjie.
Heidelberg’s only mine wins a rare mineral. The miracle mineral Bentonite is mined in large quantities around Heidelberg.
The Museum on the farm Slangrivier, “De Ou Werf” was opened by the current occupants namely the Strydoms.
Slangrivier is a settlement awarded by Sir George Grey to the Coloured community. Presently the Slangrivier’s Christmas choir is well known and does well at the annual regional competitions. Visitors on the road to Malgas should undoubtedly make a point of experiencing this village’s existence.